Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sec 3 South Pass City WY to Silverthorne CO - D19

06/28 Day 19 Colorado  Kremmling. Silverthorne, Frisco, Breckenridge (67 miles)

Pretty good breakfast and were rolling at 7:15.  The days climbing started at about 6 miles then continued up.  At near 30 miles we crested the top of Ute Pass (9524ft).  We gratefully stopped for pictures of the gorgeous Williams Fork Mountains to the west.  We then had a fantastic 5 mile descent and joined Hwy 9 to Silverthorn. 


Summit Ute Pass 9,5724.  Williams Fork Mountains in forground, Gore Range behind. 

Back story:
Several years ago while paddling my first solo boat in Barton Creek, I found a Polly Pocket doll and zip tied her to my boat.  She rather took on a life of her own.  A friend named her Sharetha Barton and she was expected to accompany me to races, parties…she has her own Facebook page.  Of course she was with me on the Tour Divide. 


Back to Hwy 9.  We stopped along the road for a break and I realized Sharetha was gone.  She’d been in our photos at the top of Ute Pass and I must not have secured her properly for the trip down.  Fatigue and PMS collided to reduce me to a blob over a Polly Pocket.  

Last photo of Sheila T and Sharetha Barton 

No comments:

Post a Comment