Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Gap Analysis (Its a Project Manager thing)

Since I’ve not updated the blog in well, a really long time, it seemed a good idea to bridge the gap.  My year is typically structured around 1 big event.  The last 4 have been no exception.  In between, life happens.

2012
May/June
TWS 2012 Prelim, 42 – Tandem Mixed, Jeff Wueste <3
TWS 2012, 260

August 
Jeff left for South America to join the Amazon Express Expedition that paddled the entire length of the Amazon River from a newly identified source, to the Atlantic.  He would be away for the next 4 months paddling 3600 miles of the 4100 mile expedition.  (Documentary, Peeled Faces of the Amazon).

MR340 2012, 340 – 5man, Mike Gordon, John Erskine, Jim Weber, Joe Geisinger

September
CR100 2012, 100 – Tandem Womens, Debbie Richardson

I called this the trifecta or the triple crown of racing from Texas; to complete all 3 of the best known marathon races in one season.  I believe I am the only female to have done so.  The CR100 is now a 100k so for now, the accomplishment stands.  

2013
May/June
TWS 2013 Prelim, 35 – 3man – Debbie Richardson, Heather Harrison
TWS 2013, 260                                                                                                                                     

September
CR100 2013, 100 – Tandem Mixed, Andrew Condie

2014
March
Jeff is off again.  This time to Russia to participate in the Volga River Expedition, the first descent of Europe's longest river.  Gone 3 months this time and paddled 2300 miles source to sea.

June
Grand Depart, Tour Divide – 300 miles.  Scratched at the border.  I came home injured but glad to see Jeff and my family.  Intervention from the universe?  I don’t know. 
On October 18th, my father passed away.  He had been recovering from an illness in June but well enough that I felt comfortable leaving.  I would not trade the precious time with him I was gifted.  

2015
May
TWS 2015 Prelim, 35 – Womens, Amy

July
MR340 2015, 340 – Solo

Total - 1812 miles.

Other races and adventures are sprinkled throughout.  Trips to Big Bend twice a year, to Boston to see family and participate in my brother’s 1st gravel event the D2R2.  A niece has graduated college, a nephew neck deep in it and a niece doing a semester in Israel.

My beautiful Slaten and Spencer boats are still out there on the rack and I’m occasionally on the water but I am so happy to be back on the bike! 

I have an idea about what is next.  I sent an email, reserved a room got a plane ticket... 

Now just ride.  Oh, and I have a new bike  :D














No comments:

Post a Comment